Debunking Free and Reduced Meals Myths
Families received applications for the Free and Reduced Meal Program. We urge you to complete and return the form! You way ask, “Why?” Read on to find out why that application is so valuable!
1) I don’t qualify, so I shouldn’t apply.
- What the state deems as “qualifies” may be different than your point of view. It doesn’t harm anything or anyone to fill out the form.
2) I don’t want free or reduced meals for my children, so I shouldn’t apply.
- Qualifying for free or reduced meals does NOT mean your family needs to accept them. BUT! Having families that do qualify increases funding that our school receives for other programs. That funding can help us provide more learning opportunities for our students and more resources for our staff! If you qualify, even if you don’t participate in the program, our district still may receive the added funding.
3) I don’t want other students or adults to know we participate in the free or reduced meals program.
- Ithaca takes this very seriously. No one outside of our food service leadership and administration knows this information. Treating students or families differently because they receive free or reduced meals will not be tolerated in the Ithaca School District.
Please, PLEASE complete and return the form by October 2nd. Doing so can help our students, families, and staff in so many ways. If you need a form, please contact the district office, reach out via Facebook in a private message, or click here to view the DPI page devoted to free and reduced meals to find copies of the forms.